Information Surrounding Updated Travel Advice
The DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) has confirmed the travel advice levels have been raised in light of the more sustained local transmission of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
From March 25 a ban on Australians travelling overseas exists. This is an exit ban. This ban is mandatory and sits higher than the ‘Do not travel’ advice level.
Both the Department of Foreign Affairs and Smartraveller websites confirm that the travel ban applies to all international destinations, and also urges anyone currently overseas to return as soon as possible by commercial means.
Please note Australian citizens and permanent residents can enter Australia but you must undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities in your port of arrival. You won’t be able to travel domestically (including to your home) or continue on any domestic flight connections until the 14-day mandatory quarantine period has been completed. This quarantine period is necessary to protect Australians from COVID-19 and to save lives.
You may have to be tested for COVID-19 at different times during your quarantine period. If you don’t agree to be tested, you may have to quarantine for longer. In some states or territories you may also have to contribute to the cost of quarantine.
For more information refer to the Smartraveller Coronavirus (COVID-19) – information for Australian travellers page.
Booking Change and Credit Requests
We understand the current situation is causing uncertainty and therefore have currently input the following policy surrounding novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
For cancellation requests received from 09:00 am AEST on 16 March 2020 customers have the option to rebook or retain its value in credit.
The following travel criteria must apply for a customer to be eligible:
All Arrangements except Japan Rail Passes
- Travel Dates must be: 16 March 2020 to 31 December 2020;
- Revised/alternative travel date must be advised to us by 31 December 2021 and is subject to availability;
- Customers are subjected to pay for any price difference if the revised/alternative travel date is higher than the original booking;
- Any cancellation fees charged by suppliers and hotels must be paid, however we will try our best to negotiate these;
- If you do not wish to retrain a credit, you can cancel however the initial non-refundable deposit will be held as a credit to be used for travel in Australia or to Japan, all additional HIS cancellations fees are waived.
Japan Rail Passes
- Cancellation fees waived for exchange vouchers issued for travel dates: 16 March 2020 to 31 of May 2020;
- For exchange vouchers issued for travel outside of the above dates, standard cancellation fees apply;
- Exchange vouchers must be received back to us before a refund can be arranged, please post to Att:Travel Japan Manager - PO Box 1517, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Please allow at least 21 days for your refund to be processed.
The above policies are only valid until 30 November 2020, to which at this time we will review accordingly.
Proud Member of ATAS
H.I.S. Australia Pty Ltd operating as Travel Japan is a proud member of ATAS, which means we have met strict financial and customer service criteria.
As some Australian consumers have questions surrounding refunds and credit policies which travel agents are offering so ATAS has complied a list, if you have questions surrounding our policies they maybe answered here; https://www.atas.com.au/covid19-update