Information Surrounding Updated Travel Advice
The DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) has confirmed the travel advice levels have been raised in light of the more sustained local transmission of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The advice level for Australian's has been set to level 4 of 'Do Not Travel'.
Both the Department of Foreign Affairs and Smartraveller websites confirm that the Level 4 advice applies to all international destinations, and also urges anyone currently overseas to return as soon as possible by commercial means.
Smartraveller have issued this advice for two principal reasons:
- You may be more exposed to contracting COVID-19 while travelling overseas. You may come in contact with more people than usual, including during long-haul flights and in crowded airports. Health care systems in some countries will come under strain and may not be as well-equipped as Australia’s. If you’re sick, you may not have your normal support networks.
- Overseas travel has become more complex and unpredictable. Many countries are introducing entry or movement restrictions. These are changing often and quickly. Your travel plans may be disrupted. You may be placed in quarantine or denied entry to some countries, and you may need to self-quarantine on return to Australia. Think about what this might mean for your health, and your family, work or study responsibilities.
Please note Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family, can enter Australia but you’ll need to isolate yourself at home for 14 days from the date you left the affected country.
For more information refer to the Smartraveller Coronavirus (COVID-19) – information for Australian travellers page.
Booking Change and Credit Requests
We understand the current situation is causing uncertainty and therefore have currently input the following policy surrounding novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
For cancellation requests received from 09:00 am AEST on 16 March 2020 customers have the option to rebook or retain its value in credit.
The following travel criteria must apply for a customer to be eligible:
All Arrangements except Japan Rail Passes
- Travel Dates must be: 16 March 2020 to 31 August 2020;
- Revised/alternative travel date must be for travel anytime until 31 December 2021 and is subject to availability;
- Customers are subjected to pay for any price difference if the revised/alternative travel date is higher than the original booking;
- Any cancellation fees charged by suppliers and hotels must be paid, however we will try our best to negotiate these;
- If you do not wish to retrain a credit, the initial deposit will be lost, however all additional HIS cancellations fees are waived.
Japan Rail Passes
- Cancellation fees waived for exchange vouchers issued for travel dates: 16 March 2020 to 31 of May 2020;
- For exchange vouchers issued for travel outside of the above dates, standard cancellation fees apply;
- Exchange vouchers must be received back to us before a refund can be arranged, please post to Att:Travel Japan Manager - PO Box 1517, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Please allow at least 21 days for your refund to be processed.
The above policies are only valid until 31 May 2020, to which at this time we will review accordingly.
Proud Member of ATAS
H.I.S. Australia Pty Ltd operating as Travel Japan is a proud member of ATAS, which means we have met strict financial and customer service criteria.
As some Australian consumers have questions surrounding refunds and credit policies which travel agents are offering so ATAS has complied a list, if you have questions surrounding our policies they maybe answered here; https://www.atas.com.au/covid19-update
Temporary Branch Closures Due to Covid-19
Please note from Monday 23rd of March our branch offices will be closed until further notice.
This also means we are now all working from home, however reduced hours.
The well-being of our customers, suppliers and staff is at the heart of our decision.
However this doesn't mean we are unable to help you, we are still working normal office hours.
We appreciate your understanding and look forward to assisting you via email listed below.