Japan Rail Pass
Japan Rail Pass
The Japan National Rail Pass is for unlimited travel on Japan Rail lines and selected buses and ferries
|Duration||Adult (12+)||Child (6-11)|
|07 Day||AUD $480||AUD $240|
|14 Day||AUD $777||AUD $388|
|21 Day||AUD $1,010||AUD $505|
We offer FREE postage, however if you wish to collect instore or purchase instore a $10 per booking fee will apply at all branches.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is valid for the railways, buses, and ferry boats as mentioned below.
All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen"bullet trains"(「except any reserved or non-reserved seat on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains)limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains, and the BRT. (With some exceptions)
- JAPAN RAIL PASS holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail.
- Aoimori Railway services between Aomori and Hachinohe (but only for travel on local or rapid service trains encompassing the segments between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, and Hachinohe and Noheji. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any other station on the Aoimori Railway line other than Aomori, Noheji, and Hachinohe.)
- The IR Ishikawa Railway Line between Kanazawa and Tsubata. However, travel must be conducted on local or limited express trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the IR Ishikawa Railway line, within or outside the segment (excluding Kanazawa or Tsubata).
- The Ainokaze Toyama Railway Line between Toyama and Takaoka. However, travel must be conducted on local trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway line, within or outside the segment (excluding Toyama or Takaoka).
- Local lines of JR Bus (excluding some local lines. Pass validity for particular routes is subject to change.)
(JR Bus : JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus)
The PASS is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR Bus.
- Only the JR-WEST Miyajima ferry is covered.
Hydrofoil ferry service operated by JR-KYUSHU between Hakata and Busan (Korea) is not covered.
Only going to a specific area in Japan and dont want to buy the Japan National Pass? Check out our Regional Passes.
Who is eligible for the JAPAN RAIL PASS?
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is a special ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sight-seeing. To be eligible to purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS you must meet one of the following two conditions.
1. You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of " Temporary Visitor ".
" Temporary Visitor " entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc. " If you apply for a " stay for sight-seeing " when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as " Temporary Visitor " as shown below. Only persons who have a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Examples of the "Temporary Visitor" entry status stamp
If you visit Japan with an Exchange Order (H.I.S. Exchange Order) to be exchanged in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless they have " Temporary Visitor " status; to enter Japan under any other official status, such as " Trainee " or " Entertainer " or " Re-entry Permit ", will make the pass invalid. Please note that according to strict interpretation of Japanese Immigration Law, " Temporary Visitor " status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
When you use an automated gate at the airport, no stamp/sticker will be stamped or put on your passport. Therefore, you need to either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply a stamp/sticker in your passport.
However, a customer who has a "registered user card" under the Trusted Traveler Program will be required to show the card to confirm the "Temporary Visitor" status.
2. Japanese people living abroad who meet the following conditions
People who have both their Japanese passport and written proof - obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live - that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
Australian Residents travelling on a Japanese Passport are not allowed to purchase JR East, West, Kyushu, Hokkaido, Central or Shikoku Rail Passes.
Acceptable written proof
(1) Copy of your Overseas Residential Registration issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to an Overseas Residential Registration with a date of acceptance at least 10 years earlier)
(2) Certificate of Overseas Residence issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live (limited to a Certificate of Overseas Residence with a date at least 10 years earlier as the date on which your address (or place of temporary residence) was established as your present address)
(3) As a special case limited to the USA, Brazil, and Canada, the Permanent Resident Card issued by these 3 countries can be used as written proof until further notice (limited to a Permanent Resident Card confirming your stay in the relevant country for 10years or more).
>> Click to see more details
- In regard to (1) , if a single copy of your Overseas Residential Registration verifies that any family members living with you in the country have stayed for 10 consecutive years or more, such a document is valid for those family members.
- Concerning children (under 12 years of age) whose stay in the country is less than 10 years at the time of purchase of an Exchange Order, if a single copy of the Overseas Residential Registration stated in (1) verifies that they live together with the applicant whose stay in the country is 10 consecutive years or more, and if they also use the JAPAN RAIL PASS together with that applicant, their eligibility requirements are satisfied.
- The copy of the Overseas Residential Registration and the Certificate of Overseas Residence are only valid for 6 months after the date of issue.
- You cannot use a photocopy of your written proof to purchase an Exchange Order or to exchange your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
- Definition of “10years or more”: At the time of purchase of an Exchange Order, a date in the same month 10 years earlier or before is valid.
(Example) In the case of the purchase of an Exchange Order on June 1, 2017, a date any time in June 2007 or earlier is valid.
(A date between June 1 and June 30, 2007 is deemed as “June 2007” and valid.)
- You can purchase an Exchange Order and exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS only if you can present any one of the written proof described in the above (1) to (3).
- An Exchange Order must be presented in Japan within 3 months from the date of issue. This must be done at a JR Station that has a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Office.
- JR Pass pricing fluctuates depending on the status of the exchange rate. For more information please consult with a Travel Japan Consultant.
- Australian Residents travelling on a Japanese Passport are not allowed to purchase JR East, West, Kyushu, Hokkaido, Central or Shikoku Rail Passes.