Detox with a nature hike through Kyoto's protected and limited-access forest. The Ashiu Forest Research Station (AFRS) is a research site under the management of Kyoto University. Located in the northeast area of Kyoto Prefecture, AFRS covers 4,186 hectares of land. A variety of unique biodiversities can be discovered there, drawing in local and global researchers, as well as nature-lovers to the site. The luscious forest is protected from human activity and closed off to the public, with only certified personnel permitted to enter or tour Ashiu Forest. Throughout the trek, a forest guide will explain the diverse aspects of the forest, conservation efforts, and point out interesting signs of the forest’s flora and fauna. Step away from the hustle and bustle of Japan’s cities and become one with the woods.
Day 1 Forest Trekking Nantan
Meeting 8:00 a.m: Please make your own way to office near Ohmi Takashima station to meet with your guide.
Enjoy the rigorous hike led by a local guide who will point out rare flora and tell stories about the forest. Stop for lunch to enjoy the delicious handmade bento lunch provided before hiking back and getting dropped off at the office at 5pm.
Tour End 17:00 p.m: Make your own way to your next destination on your own.
- Private experience
- Offered in Japanese and English
- You must be able to handle lightly strenuous exercise with some uphill terrain.
- Dietary restrictions cannot be accommodated so if you are vegetarian or have food allergies, kindly bring your own food with you.
- Required gear: Rain jacket, hat, backpack, long sleeve shirt, hiking pants (jeans and skirts are not allowed), hiking boots, hiking sticks, gloves, quick-dry socks (not cotton). Plastic bag for trash, ziplock bag, kleenex, water, snacks, hand towel, insect repellant, first aid kit, emergency toilet.
- If you do not have the gear listed above, please contact us regarding rental options. (See prices below). At the time of booking, please indicate what items you will rent. Please pay the tour-guide directly in cash for rental items on the day of experience. Rain suit (Jacket and pants) 2000 JPY, Hiking backpack 500 JPY, Boots and socks 2000 JPY, Activewear leggings 500 JPY, Gloves 500 JPY
- ‘Photos © Deeper Japan’